- Faculty Achievements
Dr. Steven Lee
Lee SB. 2018. Vice-chairing a Gordon Research Conference on Forensic Analysis of DNA (June 2018) https:/www.grc.orgforensic-analysis-of-human-dna-conference/2018/ Maine, NH.
Lee SB, Ted Hunt, Julie Sikorsky. 2018. Using NGS Results in Court: The Path to Admissibility. 7th Annual IFRI Symposium. May 1-2, 2018. FIU Miami, Fl.
Kenya Thomas, Eric Yu, Georgiana Gibson-Daw, Meghan Roig, Bruce McCord and Steven B. Lee. 2017. Rapid, microwave-accelerated DNA extraction from saliva, semen and hair for downstream PCR typing. Poster presented at the 28th International Symposium on Human Identification. https:/www.promega.com-mediafiles/products-and-services/genetic-identity/ishi-28-poster-abstracts/23-steven-lee.pdf Seattle, WA October 2-5, 2017
Lee SB and Just, R. 2017. Introduction to Massively Parallel DNA Sequencing Technology: Chemistry and Applications in Forensic Investigations. Cambridge Healthtech Institute’s Next Generation Dx Summit NGS for DNA Forensics. August 18, 2017 in DC http:/www.nextgenerationdx.comdna-forensics/
Hunt, T., R. Just, J. Conover Sikorsky, SB Lee. 2017. Panel Discussion: Using NGS Results in Court: The Path to Admisssibility. Cambridge Healthtech Institute’s Next Generation Dx Summit NGS for DNA Forensics. August 18, 2017 in DC http:/www.nextgenerationdx.comdna-forensics/
Dr. Sarah Jantzi
Oral Presentation, S.C. JANTZI, J. Debord, A. Pourmand, S. Panicker, J. Almirall, “Elemental and strontium ratio analysis of illicit heroin”, 2018 Winter Conference on Plasma Spectrochemistry; Amelia Island, FL, Jan. 2018.
Guest Lecture, S.C. JANTZI, J.R. Almirall, “Forensic Applications of LIBS and LA-ICP-MS”, Workshop on Laser Ablation for Forensic Analysis; National Center for Forensic Science at the University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL, Feb. 2017.
Guest Lecture, S.C. JANTZI, T. Trejos, J.R. Almirall, “SmartWater CSI Forensic Marking Technology: LA-ICP-MS Elemental Analysis at FIU”, Police Training Seminar; SmartWater CSI, LLC, Fort Lauderdale, FL, Jan. 2017.
Oral Presentation, S.C. JANTZI, A.K. Saha, J.R. Almirall, “Analytical LIBS as a tool for developing nations: Analysis of soils and sediments for watershed remediation efforts”, LIBS 2016; Chamonix, France, Sep. 2016.
S.C. JANTZI, J.R. Almirall, Novel “filter pellet” sample preparation strategy for quantitative LA-ICP-MS analysis of filter-bound sediments: A “green chemistry” alternative to sediment fingerprinting in Tanzania’s Ruvu River Basin, Journal of Soils and Sediments, (submitted).
J. Debord, A. Pourmand, S.C. JANTZI, S. Panicker, J. Almirall, Profiling of heroin and assignment of provenance by 87Sr/86Sr isotope ratio analysis, Inorganica Chimica Acta, (2017) 468:294-299.
S.C. JANTZI, V. Motto-Ros, F. Trichard, Y. Markushin, N. Melikechi, A. De Giacomo, Sample treatment and preparation for laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy, Spectrochimica Acta Part B: Atomic Spectroscopy, (2016) 115:52-63.
Dr. Jose Almirall
Recent funding recieved
1. Jose Almirall (PI) - National Science Foundation (NSF) (through CARFS IUCRC) “Analysis of Gasoline using CMV-DART-q-TOF-MS” (awarded August 2017) $ 15,000. (2017-2018)
2. Jose Almirall (PI) - National Science Foundation (NSF) “IUCRC Research Site – Center for Advanced Research in Forensic Science (CARFS)” (awarded July 2017) $ 750,000. (2017-2022)
3. Jose Almirall (PI) – Research Triangle Institute (RTI), “Analysis of Fire Debris Using Capillary Microextraction of Volatiles (CMV)” (Awarded June 2017) $ 69,000. (2017-2018)
4. Jose Almirall (PI) – Research Triangle Institute (RTI), “Method Development and Validation of Capillary Microextraction of Volatiles (CMV) for GSR Analysis” (Awarded June 2016) $ 30,000. (2016-2017)
5. Jose Almirall (PI) – National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), “Analysis of Nicotine in the Breath of Smokers as a Surrogate Model for the Detection of r9-THC in Marijuana Smokers” (Awarded May 2016) $ 74,830. (2016-2018)
6. Jose Almirall (PI) - National Institute of Justice (NIJ), “Strengthening the evaluation and interpretation of glass evidence using statistical analysis of collection sets and databases of refractive index and elemental data (uXRF, ICP-MS, LA-ICP-MS)” (awarded October 2015) $ 230,471. (2016-2018)
7. Jose Almirall (PI) - National Institute of Justice (NIJ), “Characterization and comparison of tape evidence using elemental profiling methods and chemometric analyses” (awarded October 2015) $ 244,072. (2016-2018)